Suchindram is well known for Thanumalayan temple located at 11kms from Kanyakumari.
Thanumalayan temple is popularly known as Suchindram temple.
Thanumalayan temple is devoted to Trimurti ie.Lord Shiva, Vishnu and Brahma in the form of a Lingam.
The top, middle and base of the lingam represents the Trimurti’s.
There are also shrines for Vinayaga, Vinayaki (female form of vinayaka), Kandan, and Krishna.
The special idols here are gigantic Hanuman, tallest Nandi and scenes of Geethaopathesam from Mahabaratham.
Hanuman statue is of 22feet high, is carved out of a single block of granite stone and stands out to be one of the tallest in India.
The Nandi statue is of 13feet tall, also known as Makkalai, is made of lime and mortar and stands to be one of the biggest Nandi statues in the country.
The temple is known for its architecture and the inscriptions here are of 9th century.
The Gopuram is of 130ft high and there are 7 musical pillars of about 18feet high, all made up of single rock. The music pillars give sounds of various musical instruments when struck on it.
Legends say that Lord Indra was relieved from his curse at the place of the main lingam in this temple.
This is the place from where Lord Shiva came to marry Devi Kanya Kumari.
Two major festivals celebrated here are Marghazi and Chittirai .Marghazi in the month of December – January and Chittirai in the month of April – May.
The temple is open from 03:00AM to 01.00PM and 04.00PM to 08.00PM.
There are regular buses from Trivandrum, Kanyakumari and Tirunelveli to reach Suchindram.
Nearest railway station is Nagercoil which is 7kms away from Suchindram.
Points of interest
- SUCHINDRAM Railway Station - 0.08 kms
- NAGARCOIL JN Railway Station - 3.42 kms
- NAGER COIL TOWN Railway Station - 7.27 kms
- TOVALAI Railway Station - 9.64 kms
- KANYAKUMARI Railway Station - 11.44 kms
- VIRANI ALUR Railway Station - 11.62 kms
- ARALVAYMOLI Railway Station - 12.79 kms
- ERANIEL Railway Station - 18.45 kms
- NORTH PANAKUDI Railway Station - 22.29 kms
- PALLIYADI Railway Station - 25.85 kms
- Airport is Trivandrum International Airport - 70.18 distance from KanyaKumari
- Hanuman Temple
- wish fulfilling temple
No reviews yet
Please write your review about this place